"One thing is clear: we are at the end of an era. No one seriously believes that we will grow ourselves out of debt again. There is an alternative. It is time to begin the transition to a steady-state economy."
Stuff I like (all)
- “Hitherto philosophers have had the solution of all riddles lying in their writing-desks, and the stupid, exoteric world had only to open its mouth...”
- “…When man says ‘I’ it sounds as if he meant the whole of himself, but really even when he himself thinks that he means it, it is only a passing...”
- “At one three-hour lunch in a fine restaurant in Buenos Aires, we traded notes on what we thought philosophy ought to be, could be, shouldn’t be, and...”
- “[The] human brain, unlike any other mammal, for the most part develops under the influence of the environment. And that’s because, from the...”
- Nikolas Rose on the micro and the macro in power relations:
To begin an investigation of power relations at this...
"But listen here, there ain’t anything worth doing a man can do and keep his dignity. Can you figure out a single thing you really please-God like...